Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day, 2015

I'm trying a new thing this year for Mother's Day.
I'm working on embracing the day. I'm not going to lie, it hasn't been easy.


It's more than an attitude check. There are so many reasons I don't enjoy this day, but that would defeat the entire purpose of writing this, so here we go...


I am the mother of five children. F.I.V.E.
That's a lot of kids.
And it was all by choice.
We chose to have five children. CHOSE.
We were like, "Hey, you know what? We should get more kids. Because we rock this parenting thing. At least most days. Well, maybe once a week we rock it. But back to the kid thing. Let's get more."


Why more? (I've had lots of people ask).
Usually my answer is, "well, why not?" But here is my/our real reason.


Because we can.


We live in a house.
Children around the world are homeless.


We eat at least three, usually waaaaaay more, meals a day.
Children everywhere are starving.


My house is overflowing with stuff. STUFF.
In Haiti, at our children's orphanage, most of the children were barefoot.


We are rich in money.
By that I mean, in this world where we live, we are considered to be in the top 1%.


We are rich in love.
And by that, I mean, we have love to share.


Being a parent is hard. It's real work. Everyday, all day long, never stopping, you don't get breaks, kind of work.


It is physically exhausting.
I haven't slept through the night in 15 years.


It is mentally challenging.
I don't know if General Grievious would be able to defeat a T-Rex. I don't remember how to do Algebra. I really don't want to revisit the Oregon Trail again, for the 4th year. Yes, I did make a dentist appointment. Wait. No I didn't.


It is EMOTIONAL.
I'm super happy. Now I'm super sad and I don't know why. (Welcome to the world of girls.)
You are my best friend ever. I hate you. I'm going to hit you. *Fight Scene* Now you are my best friend ever, again. (Welcome to the world of boys.)
And that's is just the kids.
Because everyday my heart overflows with love and joy and everyday my heart aches and breaks for my children.


So, why do we still do it, bring home more kids?


Because.


Because hearing the sound of my children laughing together is beautiful.
I love coming home and finding a special flower on my windowsill, picked just for me.
Impromptu basketball, baseball, soccer games in the backyard are the best.
"Hey mom" is pretty much the same as, "I love you mom."
Seeing my child get excited about something new is amazing.
Bass drums, pointe shoes, soccer cleats, skateboards, and a baby dolls are scattered around my house, and one day I will miss not finding all of these things.
Dirt, sand, socks, dog hair, random toys and candy wrappers are scattered around my car. One day I will have a clean car that smells good, and secretly hope I find Darth Vader's head under my car seat.


So, there's the real answer.
I am the mother of five. I chose to be the mother of five.


Just because.












1 comment:

  1. I don't even have one kid and my life is crazy busy, I can't even begin to imagine how it would be with 5 kiddos! You have a big heart!

    ReplyDelete